Non book personal note.

The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy. - Malcolm Forbes


I have a Chrome extension, when open a new tab, it greats me with a pleasant picture, the time, and a random inspirational quote (like the one you see above). I thought this one sounded pretty lovely. I got to thinkin' though, who is this Malcolm Forbes guy? I don't know about you but I've struggled with this very concept, sheesh, for I'm willing to say at least fifteen years. If this guy has something to add, I'm all for it. So I Google him and here is his Wikipedia entry:


Malcolm Stevenson Forbes (August 19, 1919 – February 24, 1990) was an American entrepreneur most prominently known as the publisher of Forbes magazine, founded by his father B. C. Forbes. He was known as an avid promoter of capitalism and free market trade, and for an extravagant lifestyle, spending on parties, travel, and his collection of homes, yachts, aircraft, art, motorcycles, and FabergĂ© eggs.


Mr. Forbes wasn't joking, he did what he wanted for a living. He made ends meet by collecting Faberge eggs and motorcycles. Oh, no, wait, he inherited an empire built by his father. Ok. Right. Well...

I think the reason that it rubbed me the wrong way because I've gotten to the point where I am ok working a job that I don't enjoy the most. It feels really liberating to say that. There are parts of my job that I enjoy but is it the thing that drives me throughout the day? Nope! Should I rest until I find that perfect profession? That's a little trickier. I want to say “No” but at the same time, maybe it could be a pleasant thing that might come up in my travels but it isn't the guiding light. But that’s the rub. Doing what you love for a living is a trap that we as a society perpetuate. But, my goodness it's so darn tempting.

This biggest problem is that we literally buy is as what should happen. We buy it because we feel like it might take us closer to it and, because we buy it, people sell it. We sell it, in fact, to ourselves. It's a cycle. Having cake and eating it all the way down.

I think, at the moment, moving forward, my strategy will be to excuse myself this notion. It's a zero sum game as far as I can see it at the moment: if I don't have X (and I don't even know what X is) then I won't be happy. And I'm tired of being unhappy. 

Whew, alright. I don't know if I'm going to actually post this but it felt good to write. Thanks! 

Comments

Popular Posts